Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Almost 96

For the past several months, I have been running at the church after I drop Eli off at the church's daycare twice a week.  When I first started, I couldn't get through a mile without stopping.  I did this for several weeks before telling Bill about how horrible of a runner I really was.

He told me it was all in my head!  The AUDACITY!!  ;)

Actually, it was exactly what I needed to hear.  Now, I'm working up to 2.5 miles without stopping.  :)  Some of you reading this might very well be seasoned runners and think 2.5 miles isn't impressive.  Clearly, I am not a "runner" and find myself shocked - still - that I can do it!  Let me have my moment, Ok?  ;)

Well, I've been plagued with some serious fatigue these past few weeks (more on that later).  One day I fell asleep stretching in the locker room before running!  And, today was another one of those days where I just couldn't bring my body to do it.  So, I turned my iPod up louder (I listen to sermons from FBC Tulsa Pastor Deron Spoo when I run -- they're soo good!) and headed for the track to walk instead.

You know how something just touches you and you can't really explain why?  Perhaps I'm a tad emotional these days, too (more on that later).  But, I feel like the Lord had a sweet little blessing intended for me on that track.

His name is Charlie.  He's 95, "almost 96", years old.  He came onto the track as I was almost finished with 1.5 miles, so I took the last few laps extra slow and just chatted with this sweet man.  He told me about moving to our town when he was in grade school, then moving to Indiana for dental school, where he also stayed and worked as an instructor for several years.  Then, he was called back into the armed forces and was sent to Europe during WWII.  He told me about a night where the Germans almost found him (he was building landing strips during the day) when he and a fellow soldier were in a tent by the strip one night when they heard the Germans walking close by.  They could hear them talking!  He said they moved their tent into the trench that night and barely slept for several nights to come.  

He said he used to run the track, but in his old age, he just tries to walk it several times a week.  Remember, he's 95!!  I hope I can get out of bed when I'm that age!

He said his dad died when he was 3, but that he had the sweetest, most caring stepfather.  And, he had the most precious mom -- he still thanked God for her every day.

Something about our conversation just really touched me.  I think I cried three times after that talk before I got home.  He was just such a sweet, gentle spirit... and the fact that he had 95 years of living under his belt was really blowing my mind.  I'm 28, and in a way it's like life is really just getting started... so, it's hard for me to fathom another 70 years!! 

In a recent sermon that I haven't been able to forget, Deron talked about an imprisoned woman whose prayer was, "Lord, show me who I can love for you today."  That has been my prayer for the past couple of months since I heard it.  I love how it forces me to take my mind off ME.  Anyway, today I think I was supposed to love Charlie.  Of course, that was only around 10 am, so the rest of the day is open for more loving.  ;)

It also touched me how much he adored his mom, and I was left with this overwhelming desire to be so caring to Eli.  He is so precious to me!  In college, both Bill and I were involved in so much.  I had pretty high expectations of myself upon graduation, particularly in terms of my career.  Well, now I find that my only real goal these days is to love Eli and Bill to the best of my ability and to be an example of Christ in their lives.  Career, shmareer.  ;) 70 years from now, I sure hope I'm not talking about my time with IBM.  I want to talk about my wonderful family, and great-grandkids, and all the fantastic adventures I've had along the way!!

As I was leaving, his wife (who was walking much faster than him with a friend of hers -- she looked to be in her young 70s), said, "Honey, you just made his day."  All I could do without crying (see?  emotional) was turn and say a quick, "No, he's made mine!"

I challenge you to add that quick line to your prayers... and pray you are touched by the love of Christ daily!

Love!

4 comments:

  1. What a blessing to get to know a man like that. I'm always surprised at who God brings into my life to teach me. It always seems to be the likeliest of people, yet they are exact ones I need to take the focus off of me. I loved reading your perspective on him.

    So, I'm anxious to hear more about fatigue and emotions (two things I am more than familiar with). Love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that post! So encouraging!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post. i have recently thought more on the issue of a successful career as well. bill and i talked about it the other day. i come across plenty of "successful" business people in my line of work, but i wouldn't want their home life. a few people can strike a good balance between the two, but that is rare.

    and tell bill as soon as he can run 2.5 miles he can start giving you running advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled across your blog today via facebook and this post brought tears to my eyes too, what a wonderful blessing! Congrats on your new blessing too!

    ReplyDelete