Thursday, December 02, 2010

Chartreuse

I'm sharing with you some things that may or may not have caused me to drool recently.  To say that I've lacked the desire or time (or figure) to devote much effort to my wardrobe or home decorating lately is quite the understatement.  I work full time.  Luckily, I get to do that from home.  This allows me to keep little E home with me during the week.  He goes to the church two days a week and stays with me the other three.  I am soooo grateful that I have the opportunity to share so much time with little E, but, I do stay in a moderate state of exhaustion ALL.THE.TIME.  I say this to explain my lack of inspiration as of late.  That is actually one of my hopes for this blog - to challenge me to explore things that excite me and to share them with you.  More to the point, I hope by sharing I will be challenged to actually do something about my inspiration.  We'll see about that.  :)

If you've been to my house you can see that I keep a tight reign on the use of color.  Not intentionally, necessarily... I'm just a little OCD and prefer a certain order to things, especially my house.  I guess that means it's very intentional.  My mom calls me "anal retentive", but I prefer to call it "strategic."  :)  My OCD tendencies will make an interesting blog post later.

The trouble is, I love color.  I just prefer an organized use of color.  About a year ago, I introduced chartreuse/citron green into my living room in a large, solid color painting.  I'm sure some people find it odd to have a large solid color painting in one's house, but I find it perfectly soothing and a great bit of color.  I'm picky about art, and don't currently have an "art budget"; therefore, all of the art in my house is homemade.

In an effort to achieve full disclosure, I am going to post the artwork from my house.  You know, just to put myself out there and force myself to share things about which I could be insecure. :)
Inspired by an Aboriginal painting by Mitjili Napurrula, my favorite Aboriginal artist

My attempt at something calming with a burst of color for our bedroom
I wasn't kidding about the green painting. :)
I found some fabric samples of a citron ikat pattern at the Fabricut outlet in Pryor that is going to make a perfect lumbar pillow to support the green painting.  That's on my project list for Christmas.  That's assuming I still remember how to use my sewing machine. 

I also found these online at Anthropologie, and I MUST have them.  It covers three of my current obsessions: ikat, chartreuse, and chevron.  I love all of the colors, but think I'll stick to the chartreuse.  See.  The others scare me.  I adore cobalt blue, but where would I put it?  That might keep me up at night.
I actually saw these in design blogs a few months ago, but only just found them online a couple of weeks ago.  Unfortunately, this picture graced the latest email I received from Anthro, so I have a feeling I'd better tell Bill to buy them soon.  I'm sure these little beauties won't last long!

Have you ever shopped on Etsy?  It's fantastic.  Everything is handmade and most can be personalized to your likings.  I found this shop that includes some fabulous pillows - I just can't seem to pick my favorite!
Ikat & Chartreuse & just a hint of funky.  It's calling my name!!
This is just beautiful and classic, in my opinion. 

 
I've always been a sucker for a great geometric pattern... probably the OCD, again. :)

So, while I was "researching" at Etsy, I stumbled upon this inspiration.  Etsy is seriously amazing.  I think I will devote an entire blog entry to favorite Etsy finds.  What do you think about the table's facelift?  I have a nightstand that is in serious need of a makeover. 


 

I'm losing focus (and I'm sure you are too!), so I'll wrap this up with a picture of my very COLORFUL Christmas tree. Still working on the finishing touches... have you totally Christmas-fied your house?  I'm about 1/3 of the way there!!
 

Have a great weekend!
Love!

3 comments:

  1. It's all so. . . so. . . fascinating! You really do love decorating and I am going to keep giving you my decorating magazine because they scare me.

    I'm telling all my blogging friends about you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great post, my friend! i should tell you that i adore ikat... thanks to my years with anthro. AND, they always have plenty of it in the mix. so, don't worry. i do not think you'll ever have a hard time finding ikat bowls there. =) i've written about getting inspired, and yet my house still looks stale. i'm not sure what it's going to take. then again, i think i know... it's the green stuff that my 16-month old finally referred to today... "MONEY". =) someday, i will have a decorated (not in a stuffy, southern kind of way) home! some.day.
    happy weekend!
    love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, friends!

    Elizabeth - I keep waiting to see a post from you.... come onnnnn.... you know you want to! ;) I love getting your magazine hand-me-downs... I'm sure I've torn several pages from them! And, your house is great - beautiful, fun and totally suits you!

    Jenn - Thank you! So glad to hear that about the ikat - and, of course you adore it... it's fabulous! ;) I think your house looks great, but I can empathize in feeling like your house feels stale. Mine hasn't changed in a couple of years and I'm getting the itch! :) We WILL have fabulously (not overly) decorated homes one of these days!

    ReplyDelete